The Birmingham Commonwealth Games 2022 are taking place across the West Midlands, with Birmingham of course at the centre of the action!
Many venues are used for the games, from Coventry, Sutton Coldfield, and Wolverhampton to Cannock Chase Forest and Royal Leamington Spa.
If you are coming to the region to get indulged in the super games, there are a few things that you may need to know. As local Birmingham cleaners we, therefore, wanted to provide a quick heads up on what’s happening:
Origin of The Common Wealth Games
A priest named John Astley Cooper initially proposed the notion of a contest between Commonwealth nations in a letter published in The Times in 1891. John was born in England but spent his formative years in Australia, which may have contributed to his interest in organizing a sporting event amongst nations that belonged to the British Empire at that time.
It may be said that John's idea took some time to fully catch on because the first event wasn't held until almost 40 years later! The first Common Wealth Games event took place in 1930. Since 1930, the Commonwealth Games have gathered athletes from all around the world.
The Bahamas, Kenya, Samoa, Jersey, Malta, Singapore, and many other Commonwealth countries participate in the Games. It is important to note that not every country sends a team to every event - only England, Scotland, Wales, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia have sent a team to every event.
Why is Birmingham Hosting The Common Wealth Games 2022?
Located in the West Midlands region of England, Birmingham is hosting the Commonwealth Games for the first time ever. Birmingham was selected as the host city for the 2022 Commonwealth Games by the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) back in 2017.
The Birmingham City Council estimates that Birmingham has a population of 1,140,500, the second largest city in the UK. With Birmingham's central location in the UK and its representation of the diversity of the Commonwealth, the city is well-positioned to draw people to the Games and maximize the positive effects of hosting for the entire country and the Commonwealth.
Opening Ceremony and Schedule of the Birmingham Common Wealth Games 2022
At the Alexander Stadium in Walsall Road, Perry Bar, the Birmingham Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony took place on July 28 from 11:30 PM to 3:00 AM; but the first medal event began on July 29.
The schedule of programmed events this year are:
• Lawn bowling and para-lawn bowling: July 29 and August 6
• Marathon: July 30, Saturday
• Netball on Friday, July 29, and August 7
• Rugby Sevens: July 29 and 31
• Squash: July 29 and August 8
• Swimming and partaking in aquatic activities: July 29 and August 3
• Table tennis and parquet tennis: July 29 and August 8
• Triathlon and para-triathlon: July 29 and 31
• Weightlifting: July 30 and August 6
• Badminton: July 29 to August 8
• Judo: August 1 to August 3
• Powerlifting: August 4, Thursday
• Friday, July 29 to August 2 are the dates for basketball and wheelchair basketball.
• Boxing: July 29, August 4, August 6, and August 7
• Beach volleyball: July 30 to August 7 on Saturday
• Cycling-track and para-track: July 29 through August 1
• Hockey: July 29, Friday, to August 8
• Gymnastics - Artistic: July 29 - August 2
• Gymnastic-Rhythmic: Tuesday, August 2, through Sunday, August 7.
• Mountain Bike Cycling: Wednesday, August 3
• Baseball: Tuesday, August 2 through Thursday, August 4, Saturday, August 6, and Sunday, August 7
• Road cycling race: August 7
• Cycling Time Trial: August 4, Thursday
• Diving: August 4 through August 8 on Thursday
• Men’s Rhythmic Gymnastics: Thursday, August 4 to August 6.
Where to Buy the Tickets for Birmingham Common Wealth Games 2022?
Fans will be able to choose between 286 sporting sessions in 19 sports, including eight para-sports, including athletics, swimming, gymnastics, and netball, as well as a bunch of brand new sports like women's cricket T20, basketball 3x3, wheelchair basketball 3x3, and mixed synchronized diving.
At Birmingham2022.com, tickets for the Commonwealth Games are presently on sale. For each event, there are five different ticket categories, with category A tickets being the most pricey and category E tickets being the cheapest option. The cost of opening ceremony tickets ranges from £22 to £290.
Who Has Won The Most Medals in Birmingham Commonwealth Games 2022 Till Now?
There have already been more than 10,000 medals won across the 63 Commonwealth Games held since 1930. Talking of the Commonwealth Games 2022, Australia is still ranked first on Day 5 of the competition, August 2, 2022, with a total of 106 medals in its collection. Let's look at the most recent ranking of the top 6 winning nations for the CWG Birmingham 2022:
1. Australia has won 42 Gold Medals, 32 Silver Medals, and 32 Bronze Medals; Total= 106
2. England has won 31 Gold Medals, 34 Silver Medals, and 21 Bronze Medals; Total= 86
3. New Zealand has won 13 Gold Medals, 7 Silver Medals, and 6 Bronze Medals; Total= 26
4. Canada has won 11 Gold Medals, 16 Silver Medals, and 19 Bronze Medals; Total= 46
5. South Africa has won 6 Gold Medals, 5 Silver Medals, and 5 Bronze Medals; Total= 16
6. India has won 5 Gold Medals, 5 Silver Medals, and 3 Bronze Medals; Total= 13
Why are Birmingham Common Wealth Games Important for The People of Birmingham?
Based on their skill and knowledge, Birmingham residents may have the chance to assist competitors before, during, and after the competition. Beyond sports, there will be a ton of other ways for Birmingham residents to get involved. The Commonwealth Games will require 10,000 volunteers to help with everything from building the host city to media coverage to expanding healthcare and support services for spectators, tourists, and locals.
In short, Birmingham Common Wealth Games 2022 will bring a lot of opportunities for the local business and citizens of Birmingham.
Some Interesting Resources
Plus, an interesting post here from a local Birmingham property agency plotting a route across the city.
Making the Most of the Birmingham Commonwealth Games 2022
Now is certainly the time to come and check out the games in Birmingham, particularly with good weather currently predicted! It’s a huge city – the second largest in the country – with all kinds of other sites to see and facilities to benefit from.
Of course, if you need any help with your cleaning at eth same time, just let us know. Whether you’re busy with end-of-tenancy cleans as people reside in eth city, or office cleaning for businesses benefiting from the Games in the local economy – we can help with everything.